Chelsea have confirmed Eden Hazard will be out for three months after undergoing surgery on his right ankle on Monday.
The 26-year-old playmaker sustained the injury in training with the Belgium national team on Sunday.
A statement on the Premier League champions’ website read: “Eden Hazard successfully underwent surgery today after sustaining a fracture to his right ankle while training with the Belgian national team. He is expected to return to training in approximately three months.”
Hazard posted a picture of himself in his hospital bed on his Twitter handle alongside a caption which read: “Everything went well with my ankle operation, now I start the road to recovery! I will be stronger. Thank you for your support!!”
Speaking on Sunday, Hazard said he would be delighted to remain at Stamford Bridge – but admitted an approach from Champions League winners Real Madrid would be surely considered.
Asked if he would like to see an offer, the player, who has three years left on his contract at Chelsea, told the Het Laatste Nieuws newspaper: ”Of course, that’s all.
“We all dream. It could be Spain, it could be staying with Chelsea.
”I think I can stay with Chelsea for many years, but it’s not something I’m thinking about right now. We’ll see.
”Previously we talked about PSG (Paris St Germain), now about (Real) Madrid, next year it will be a different club.
”In football you never know, but at the moment it’s not in my mind. I’m a Chelsea player, I have another contract for three years. We’ll see.”
Asked if he watched Real’s Champions League final win against Juventus, Hazard continued: ”Yes, but if I ever wanted to go to Real, I could get there (and be) on the bench. I want the best solution for myself.”
On Chelsea’s campaign, he added: ”We had a great season with (manager Antonio) Conte. We want to continue this season, now that we also play Champions League.
”We know it’s hard to conquer two titles in England, but we’re going to try it. It’s a pleasure to work with Conte.”